Pain in the neck, known as tonsillitis or pharyngitis, is a symptom of a disease that affects the pharynx or tonsils. This may be due to an infection with a virus or bacterium.
Sore throat is encountered most frequently in children and young adults but can occur in people of any age, most often is perceived as tingling or discomfort in the throat or difficulty swallowing.
Sore throat could be a condition in itself or one of the many manifestations of a disease. When neck pain is caused by bacterial infections can be treated with antibiotics and usually no complications.
Signs of pharyngitis and tonsillitis
The main manifestations of pharyngitis and tonsillitis are:
- Sore throat and difficulty swallowing;
- Discomfort that can spread to the ears;
- The neck is red, the tonsils are inflamed and pus may have points;
- Sometimes this high temperature;
- In some cases lymph nodes in the neck and jaw may be swollen.
If sore throat is due to a viral infection, symptoms are usually mild and are related to the common cold. When neck pain is due to Coxsackie virus may develop small blisters on the tonsils and soft palate. They will erupt within days and will be covered by a crust that can be very painful.
If the sore throat is caused by strep throat, swollen tonsils, will be covered with pus and neck will be sore. The patient may be fever, bad breath and breathing will be overall health will be pretty bad.
Home remedies for sore throat
The main means of pain in the neck, which could be used at home:
- Humidifier – It is advisable to use a humidifier when a person feels his dry throat. With humidifier, air around will keep moist and this is an important issue because internal heat and dry air can cause dry mucous membranes.
Appropriate would be to purchase a humidifier to be cleaned constantly to prevent mold, which can worsen symptoms and in some cases could lead to lung problems.
- Garlic – The spicy food is meant to stimulate the immune system, antimicrobial effect (fight viruses) and antibacterial qualities. As such, it may help the body heal infections that cause sore throat, while destroying germs that cause pain and irritation.
Compound that has all these qualities is allicin that is released when raw garlic is cut, crushed or chewed. Garlic supplements may be effective in reducing cholesterol and blood pressure, but it seems that they do not contribute to strengthening the immune system.
- Zinc tablets – It is recommended to administer zinc tablets in people who have mild sore throat accompanied by runny nose. You can use a pill every two to four hours after necestiate. In this way it will soothe reddened tissue in the neck. In addition, zinc ions migrate to the nose can stop the virus that causes a cold.
Patients who use zinc lozenges every two to three hours will be reduced by up to half the duration of colds. Because most of the time, neck pain will be followed by cold, it is advisable to administer a pill with zinc at the first sign of pain.
Can be used droplets containing zinc gluconate, which is more easily tolerated by the stomach than other forms. They will manage various foods to reduce nausea. Because some supplements can interfere with other foods, consult your doctor before taking zinc tablets.
- Warm salt water – Gargling with warm salt water will be itching and inflammation occurs when the neck. This solution has a calming effect and can kill bacteria in the throat and can help increase blood flow which will carry cells that fight infection are the throat, accelerating recovery.
It will mix a half teaspoon of salt in a liter of water to prepare a solution that will be used for gargling. The mixture should be used once daily or as needed. Water should have a right temperature, not hot.
- Herbal Tea – will be used when pain persists all day. There are several varieties of plants that could stimulate immunity: goldenseal root (Echinacea), which is a licorice herb with antibacterial and antiviral effect, which helps build marshmallow mucus and will protect the neck. Above plants can be used as a tincture of stores.
- Tablets containing white elm – indicated if the neck is sore and red. White elm bark powder keeps the throat hydrated, which eases the discomfort of inflammation. Can be tested tablets do not contain lactose, dairy because pain can stimulate and amplify the inflammation. Some white elm pills combined with vitamin C.
- Sprays to relieve neck – They numb neck, due to an ingredient called phenol (local anesthetic), which provides temporary relief. Spray is recommended when the neck is very irritated, painful and inflamed. These sprays are designed to mask the pain for a few hours, without treating the underlying problem or shorten the duration of symptoms.
- Gargle recommended by the doctor – Your doctor may recommend gargling with a substance (lidocaine hydrochloride) which is designed to numb the painful area for a longer period of time than other drugs.
Liquid can be used alone or mixed with water or other ingredients to prepare a mouthwash. Do not eat nor drink anything for 30 minutes after gargling because its effect will be diminished.